Take the next step in your career at ABB, working in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB Ability™ Marine Advisory System – OCTOPUS is a unique product family for performance management in marine operations.
The ABB Advisory Suite provides monitoring and forecasting software solutions for performance and availability optimization of sea-going vessels, and is the leader in vessel motion prediction solutions. In addition to the vessel motion prediction package, a broad range of functionality to optimize the energy efficiency onboard a vessel is a complementary part of the suite.
As a Back-end Developer you will use your understanding of back-end coding practices, supplemented by knowledge of the Fortran programming language, or an ability to quickly learn it on the job, to help refactor and re-architecture one of the leading voyage advisory software suites on the market to modern coding practices, standards and implementation stacks. You will help us to pivot our digital products’ architecture towards microservices and the cloud. Seize this unique opportunity, join the team and see your work transformed in a tangible product.
Learn more about ABB Marine:
Learn more about OCTOPUS:
- Owning, understanding, maintaining, and documenting the existing hydrodynamic calculation engine developed originally in Fortran
- Driving the process of language translation of the calculation engine to acceptable modern performant programming languages (such as C# etc.), with the focus on benchmarking performance and correctness
- Refactoring and re-architecting the data processing pipeline within which the calculations are embedded towards a micro-services approach hosted in the cloud
- Working with customers, the product management team, the customer support team and other parties to stay abrest of issues, bugs and other quality and technical problems, and to swiftly and effectively address them
- Analyzing the requirements and writing functional / design specifications and determining the technologies used for the re-factoring of existing, and development of new hydrodynamic calculations to serve the existing, and newly planned footprint of features for the voyage advisory services of the future
- 5+ years of professional experience in back-end software development
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Design, or related field
- Knowledge of performant, efficient, and optimized numerical algorithms and libraries thereof (BLAS, Lapack, Numerical Recipes, etc.) implemented through a modern, expressive programming language stack and architecture that is well supported on the Windows OS and the Azure cloud platform
- Good familiarity with Design Patterns and agile working methodologies, in particular Scrum
- Strong written and oral communication skills – ability to communicate, write reports and business correspondence in English efficiently
- A target-oriented way of working and a strong development drive with the ability to analyze issues, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Experience from the marine voyage advisory, optimization, reporting, or analytics industries, marine weather reporting, forecasting or back-casting, or fleet management software industry will be beneficial
- Knowledge and proven track record of using Fortran and experience in working with non-collocated team-members will be considered as a strong advantage
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Harness the power of our diverse global network, as you continue to collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Your benefits :
• Enjoy a stable employment in a company with a long history in innovation and technology
• Collaborate with experienced experts in an international environment
• Seize individual development and training opportunities, from job specific to soft skills
• Get private medical care (including offers for family members) and life insurance
• Receive attractive remuneration based on your experience and skills, and other financial benefits, such as annual bonus and internal share purchase program
• Choose from various benefits in kind, ranging from healthy lifestyle offerings, to knowledge sharing, to teambuilding activities
ABB Data Privacy Statement: